Ali on the Run Show Episode 161: Lauren Fleshman & Jesse Thomas
Recommended for a long easy pace run, recovery run or downtime doing chores, driving etc.
In this episode Ali interviews Lauren Fleshman (US 5K Champion in 2006 & 2010 and marathoner) and Jesse Thomas (NCAA 3K Steeplechase All-American, six-time Wildflower Triathlon Champion and winner of the 2014 Mont Tremblant 70.3). They are married, have two young children and run a startup business together – Picky Bars.
This conversation is less about training, strategy, recovery, mindset… and more about a topic many runners, triathletes and other endurance athletes struggle with – balancing a marriage, children and a business with athletic goals and identity.
Lauren and Jesse talk candidly about the following topics:
- How having a baby affected her body and set back her running career
- Finding ways to communicate your needs and frustrations to your partner
- Figuring out how to balance childcare responsibilities and traditional gender roles
- The stress of running a business together while also raising small children
- Peaks and valleys of child-rearing, times it was tough and when it feels easier
- The evolution of a romantic relationship
- What they love and admire about each other
It’s a great conversation to listen to if you have kids, work/life balance challenges; and if you run or are thinking of starting a business.
How to Listen
Click on the SoundCloud player above or: